Show 002: Joseph Bentz – Fiction and Nonfiction Author
- Fiction and nonfiction author Joseph Bentz shares his journey as a literature professor at Azusa Pacific University and the acclaimed author of Christian fiction and nonfiction books. Joseph appreciates the satisfaction of having another person.
- You’ll hear the fascinating story of how his first novel evolved into a gigantic work. He’s now had four nonfiction books in a row, but a new fiction book, Dreams of Caladria will be released by the time you hear this, and another nonfiction book later in the year. You’ll hear the exciting story of Joseph’s interview by BBC Radio (England) about Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird. You’ll learn about his writing voice and his unique writing system and process.
- Fiction and nonfiction, articles, and a blog.
- Dreams of Caladria, A Son Comes Home, Pieces of Heaven: Recognizing the Presence of God, God in Pursuit: The Tipping Points from Doubt to Faith, When God Takes Too Long, Silent God, Song of Fire, At Close of Day, and Cradle of Dreams.
- Joseph’s first novel took 10 years to write and he wrote it without knowing how to write a novel. You’ll hear how after all that time he developed the discipline to complete the book, even after it reached gigantic proportations.
- Joseph’s motivation is his compulsion to write. Equally motivating is the satisfaction when readers connect with him after reading one of his books. He considers one of his books, A Son Comes Home, as his most successful book . It’s used in a writing class at Azusa Pacific.
The Most Important Things I Learned About Writing
- Whatever I am not writing at the moment seems easier to write than what I am currently working on. If I’m working on fiction, I think nonfiction is easier, but when I am writing nonfiction, I think fiction is easier.
- I need to stay at the computer even when I struggle with the desire to do something else. I have to sit through the process and not leave the computer, but get to the manuscript, to the words, and stay until the momentum is going.
The Best Advice on Writing I Ever Received
- Sit there (at the computer) even when nothing is happening, don’t let yourself off the hook.
My Best Advice for Struggling Writers
- My advice for fiction writers is to write the book that you want to write, the book that is deep in you. Write this before worrying about an agent or publishers or pitching it.
- For nonfiction writers, keep the reader in mind. Don’t just write about something rather than writing to someone.
The Author That Inspires Me
- Since I teach literature, it’s Thomas Wolfe, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Edith Wharton, – anyone from the pre-World War II era of literature.
My Favorite Book on Writing
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott.
How To Find Me
About Joseph from his Amazon Author’s Page
Joseph Bentz’s books span a variety of genres, including a fantasy novel, three contemporary novels, three non-fiction books on Christian living, and one book/DVD package. Bentz is a frequent speaker at writers conferences, churches, and other venues. He is a professor of English at Azusa Pacific University. He earned a Ph.D. and M.A. in American literature from Purdue University and a B.A. in English from Olivet Nazarene University. He lives with his wife and two children in Southern California.
Got a Minute? Rate the Podcast.
We hope this episode has inspired you and helped to ignite your writing. That’s our goal. If you have been helped by this interview, could you share your experience?
The best way to do that is to leave a rating and review at iTunes. You can also leave a rating and review in Stitcher. A one or two sentence review, along with a rating, will help others find the Writers & Authors on Fire podcast more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience. Your rating and review helps promote the podcast to new listeners, writers, and authors as they search for new podcasts to experience. Honest reviews are appreciated. Thank you for your support.
Want More of Writers & Authors on Fire?
A new Writers & Authors on Fire episode will be released every Tuesday morning. As our audience grows and we do more interviews, we hope to release two new episodes a week. That’s a great reason to subscribe now. You can subscribe at iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast directory:
Joseph Bentz – Fiction and nonfiction author, and Professor of English at Azusa Pacific University
Because disclosures are necessary, each book link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clicking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast.
Do You Have a Comment or Question on this Podcast?
We invite you to send us a comment or question on this episode. Please use the contact form to the right to send us a message. Thank you.