Episode 015: Sarah Sundin – Author of historical romance fiction set around World War II.
- Sarah Sundin writes historical romance fiction set in the World War II era. In this interview Sarah shares what she has learned about writing in this fascination genre and her writing process. Her books include romance, military action, home front settings, and because she’s a pharmacist, even some medical stuff. Her method of research to make her novels accurate will make you laugh – but you’ll grimace at the title of the 500 page research book she read for one of her novels. She shares about the eight years it took to learn writing before getting a contract. You’ll love hearing about the worst writing advice she ever received and how much of herself is in each character. She opens up about how she make her characters come alive. You’ll laugh at the reason her sons like her books. You’ll come away from Sarah’s interview knowing more about writing historical romance fiction than before.
- Historical romance fiction set around World War II.
- Through Waters Deep, With Every Letter, On Distant Shores, In Perfect Time, A Memory Between Us, Blue Skies Tomorrow, A Distant Melody, and Where Treetops Glisten with coauthors Tricia Goyer and Cara Putman.
- My biggest setback was getting published in the first place. I was a chemistry major and a pharmacist, so I had to learn writing. I had to teach myself how to write, go to writers conferences, read books about writing, and learned from some of the best. But by the time I was getting positive feedback from agents, historical fiction wasn’t selling. So I had about a five year period of rejection letters.
- I can’t not write. My biggest fear is that God will take away the stories and I won’t have anything to write – because I love it so much.
The Most Important Thing I Learned About Writing
- Know what you write. Pick a story that appeals to you and learn it really well. I have learned to let my characters take over the story.
My Best Advice for Struggling Writers
- Keep reading, keep writing, and keep praying. Keep offering your work to God. There are so many paths you can take, keep asking Him what He wants you to do with it.
The Author That Inspires Me
- Over the years there are too many to mention and I don’t want to leave anyone out.
My Favorite Book on Writing
- For plotting I like The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler and for character writing I like Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors by Brandilyn Collins.
How To Find Me
About Sarah from her Amazon Author’s Page
- Sarah Sundin enjoys writing about the drama and romance of the World War II era. She is the author of the upcoming Waves of Freedom series (Through Waters Deep, August 2015), the Wings of the Nightingale series (With Every Letter, 2012, On Distant Shores, August 2013, and In Perfect Time, 2014), and the Wings of Glory series (A Distant Melody, A Memory Between Us, and Blue Skies Tomorrow); and is the coauthor of Where Treetops Glisten.
A mother of three, Sundin lives in northern California. She works on-call as a hospital pharmacist and teaches Sunday school and women’s Bible studies. She belongs to American Christian Fiction Writers, Christian Authors Network, and Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. Her novel On Distant Shores was a double finalist for the 2014 Golden Scroll Awards. In 2011 she received the Writer of the Year Award from the Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference.
Got a Minute? Rate the Podcast.
We hope this episode has inspired you and helped to ignite your writing. That’s our goal. If you have been helped by this interview, could you share your experience?
The best way to do that is to leave a rating and review at iTunes. You can also leave a rating and review in Stitcher. A one or two sentence review, along with a rating, will help others find the Writers & Authors on Fire podcast more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience. Your rating and review helps promote the podcast to new listeners, writers, and authors as they search for new podcasts to experience. Honest reviews are appreciated. Thank you for your support.
Want More of Writers & Authors on Fire?
A new Writers & Authors on Fire episode will be released every Tuesday morning. As our audience grows and we do more interviews, we hope to release two new episodes a week. That’s a great reason to subscribe now. You can subscribe at iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast directory:
Sarah Sundin – Author of historical romance fiction set around World War II
Because disclosures are necessary, each book link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clicking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast.
Do You Have a Comment or Question on this Podcast?
We invite you to send us a comment or question on this episode. Please use the contact form to the right to send us a message. Thank you.