Episode 115 – Julie Broad has written two books, a third coming, but doesn’t consider herself a writer.
- Julie Broad is an entrepreneur who does not consider herself a writer. Writing is the vehicle she uses to her ideas out there. She’s a former real estate investor turned author turned entrepreneur with two books to her credit. Her first book, More Than Cashflow, made her an expert and gave her speaking opportunities. As a child she loved to write. Working in real estate, she started a newsletter and soon had 700 subscribers. That turned into More Than Cashflow, which has been number one in Amazon and a huge success. Hew new book, The New Brand You, is a hit too. We talk about branding for writers. whether one can have more than one brand, mistakes writers make, the value of a writing coach, and her company BookLaunchers that helps writers through the publishing process. Great advice that all writers can use.
My Writing Motivation
- I’m driven to write and share and teach. When I learn something new I’m always excited to share it with other people.
On Branding as Writers
- People who know you through your brand are more likely to buy your books than people who just see your name and know nothing more about you.
On People Buying Books
- Most people buy books that they were told about from someone they know and trust. \
Writing a Unique Book
- Bring in your story, your unique angle, and find an area that people aren’t taking about in your subject matter. It sets you up for a better change of success.
The Most Important Thing I Learned About Writing
- There’s a shock period when you get the book back from the editor and see all the red and know you now have to rewrite a lot of it. Give yourself space and time to do this rewriting. The other lesson is to build relationships early so you can ask them to promote you book later.
My Most Difficult Writing Challenge
- It’s finding time to write. With a new baby, a new business, a new country (after moving to Los Angeles from Canada), and a new home, my time is full.
My Most Rewarding Moment as an Author
- It was the morning that I awoke to a text message that my book was number one in Amazon.
- BookLaunchers came out of my helping people who where looking for help in publishing their books. We start with a writing coach to help you get the concept right from the start.
The biggest mistake writers make
- A big writer’s mistake is to skimp on professional copy editors who can make your book the best book possible.
Two of my Best Writing Tips
- Determine what your goal is for your book. Really define it. What’s the success outcome when the book is done? Secondly, work with somebody to create a great outline which will save you hundreds of hours in writing the book.
The Best Advice on Writing I Ever Received
- The best advice I ever received was to just do it. A former editor told me me to make things specific. Be specific to help them picture it.
My Best Advice for Struggling Writers
- Are you unique enough or are you missing something in your pitch or angle? Often its hard to see this yourself. Do something different that you haven’t done before to try and get a different result.
What Writing Success Means to Me
- From a business perspective it means credibility. It gives you something that you don’t have before you had the book. It’s credibility, authority and a sense of accomplishment.
My Favorite Book on Writing
- Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles.
How To Find Me
- Julie’s website
- Julie’s BookLaunchers website
- Julie’s Facebook page
- Julie’s BookLaunchers Facebook page
- Julies YouTube video page
About Julie from Her Amazon Author’s page
- Julie’s an Amazon #1 Best Selling Author and International Book Award winner, recipient of the Top 20 under 40 award, a successful entrepreneur, recognized real estate investor and a popular speaker and workshop trainer.
- She’s appeared as a guest on numerous news programs including CTV, Global TV, DayTime Ottawa and CFax 1070 and featured in publications such as Entrepreneur.com, Yahoo!Canada, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Sun, Canadian Real Estate Wealth Magazine and The Vancouver Province.
- She’s an expert on helping people who aren’t naturally born to sell, get results, make an impact and ultimately make more money! Her first book, More than Cashflow, debuted at #1 overall on Amazon, and went on to win an International Book Award. Her newest release, The New Brand You is quickly climbing the sales charts after it’s official release in early July.
From My Perspective
- In the episode the From My Perspective segment talks about variety and how we as authors have so many great ideas for sharing our stories. I highlight the upcoming five exciting podcast guests and their ideas.
We’d Love to Hear Your Comments or Questions on this Podcast
We invite you to send us a comment or question on this episode. Please use the comment form at the bottom of this blog post to send us a message. Thank you.
Got a Minute? Rate the Podcast.
We hope this episode has inspired you and helped to ignite your writing. That’s our goal. If you have been helped by this interview, could you share your experience?
The best way to do that is to leave a rating and review at iTunes. You can also leave a rating and review in Stitcher. A one or two sentence review, along with a rating, will help others find the Writers & Authors on Fire podcast more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience. Your rating and review helps promote the podcast to new listeners, writers, and authors as they search for new podcasts to experience. Honest reviews are appreciated. Thank you for your support.
Want More of Writers & Authors on Fire?
A new Writers & Authors on Fire episode will be released every Tuesday morning. As our audience grows and we do more interviews, we hope to release two new episodes a week. That’s a great reason to subscribe now. You can subscribe at iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast directory:
Because disclosures are necessary, each book link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clicking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast. Thank you for your support.