Episode 126 – Klyn Elsbury is the author of I AM, a great book about success with raw emotion and inspiring wisdom.
- Klyn Elsbury has always considered herself a writer. Having cystic fibrosis, when she was a child she always packed books in her suitcase for the too frequent trips to the hospital. In school she loved taking writing courses—and she loves puns. In writing I AM _____: The Untold Story of Success I take people on a journey of what success is, what it’s not, and how they can live powerful lives for themselves as they create change in the world. It draws a parallel between what it means to live as if every day is your last and what it means to create a highly impactful legacy through entrepreneurship and athleticism. In the interview we get real about her journey with cystic fibrous, why she wrote a book, the writing process, how staying fit is important, and more. She’s a great and fascinating person who loves life and wants to live it to the fullest.
On Having Cystic Fibrosis
- Having Cystic Fibrosis has given me the outlook to appreciate what we have and how we have it on this earth, and share it with other people. It’s manifested through writing as the only medium I could figure it out.
My Writing Motivation
- When I speak, it’s the reactions I get afterwards. My intention is to give the audience everything I have. When I go out on stage my entire focus is being inservice.
How I Balance Life
- I don’t. Everyday is a free for all no matter how much we try to control it. It’s just appreciating that is where the difference is. I create my core priorities of what has to happen. Every day I need to work out to keep my lungs healthy.
On My Book
- In I AM_____: The Untold Story of Success, I take people on a journey of what success is, what it’s not, and how they can live powerful lives for themselves as they create change in the world.
- If you aren’t in pursuit of your own success, I can’t imagine what your life is like.
The Most Important Thing I Learned About Writing
- I’ve learned that the more I know the less I know. I thought I knew a lot when I wrote a book but then wondered if I should add to this chapter and that chapter.
My Biggest Struggle With the Book
- I didn’t feel I was worthy to have my photo in the book or on the cover with so many famous people’s stories inside.
My Most Difficult Writing Challenge
- Staying put [to write] is hard. I’m an athletic person so I want to run around the house, I want to wander and check on things.
The Best Advice on Writing I Ever Received
- Write every day. Yep, that’s the best and worst advice, because that means you have to actually do something everyday. So, write everyday but don’t go nuts with the editing.
My Best Advice for Struggling Writers
- Life’s too short to not finish what you want. If you’re not ready don’t beat yourself up just embrace that and one day you’ll finish your book. If it doesn’t matter to you, find something that does. It’s okay.
My Most Rewarding Moment as an Author
- I love reviews on Amazon. Getting to know that somebody somewhere was impacted positively.
How To Find Me
About Klyn from Her Amazon Author’s page
- In 2014, after being forced to quit her professional recruiting career due to excessive hospitalizations from complications of Cystic Fibrosis, Klyn Elsbury was confined to a wheelchair with her lung function plummeting below 40%. It was after a two-week hospital stay (just one of 5 that year) she set off on a six week road trip across the United States to visit friends and family she wasn’t sure she would live to see again.
- I AM _: The Untold Story of Success is a blend of raw emotion and inspiring wisdom. It draws a parallel between what it means to live as if every day is your last and what it means to create a highly impactful legacy through entrepreneurship and athleticism. Through gripping interviews with influential entrepreneurs and athletes such as Boomer Esiason, Sharon Lechter, the co-founder of Netflix, and many others; the reader is taken on a journey of what success is, what success is not, and how you can live a powerful life while creating change in the world.
- She has since regained 30% of her lungs and currently lives in California with the love of her life. Together, they are the co-owners of Landmark Makers, a recruiting services firm dedicated to high-growth companies that offer workshops and recruitment services nationwide.
- Her story has been featured in numerous publications including Manifest Station, Zumba blog, and she has appeared on several shows including KPBS, NPR, Connected Women of Influence, and NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. She is a nationally recognized speaker who will be presenting for the Entrepreneurs’ Organization at Alchemy in 2017.
From My Perspective
- In the From My Perspective segment of the show, I talk about giving up, and hw we need to move through those thoughts to success.
We’d Love to Hear Your Comments or Questions on this Podcast
We invite you to send us a comment or question on this episode. Please use the comment form at the bottom of this blog post to send us a message. Thank you.
Got a Minute? Rate the Podcast.
We hope this episode has inspired you and helped to ignite your writing. That’s our goal. If you have been helped by this interview, could you share your experience?
The best way to do that is to leave a rating and review at iTunes. You can also leave a rating and review in Stitcher. A one or two sentence review, along with a rating, will help others find the Writers & Authors on Fire podcast more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience. Your rating and review helps promote the podcast to new listeners, writers, and authors as they search for new podcasts to experience. Honest reviews are appreciated. Thank you for your support.
Want More of Writers & Authors on Fire?
A new Writers & Authors on Fire episode will be released every Tuesday morning. As our audience grows and we do more interviews, we hope to release two new episodes a week. That’s a great reason to subscribe now. You can subscribe at iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast directory:
Because disclosures are necessary, each book link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clicking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast. Thank you for your support.