Episode 128 – Colleen Kelly Alexander is an athlete, motivational speaker, and author about surviving trauma after getting run over on her bike by a Freightliner truck.
- Colleen Kelly Alexander is a motivational speaker and author, and an amazing athlete. Her inspirational story is about how she survived the trauma of being run over on her bike by a Freightliner truck. She had over 78 units of blood and CPR in the trauma bay. The people who worked on her are her heroes. In the interview we talk about the heroes around us, how she wrote the book, her motivation to keep going, and more. After all this she run and cycles and does triathlons. She gives her medals to her heroes and new heroes she meets. Her book Gratitude in Motion: A True Story of Hope, Determination, and the Everyday Heroes Around Us is about her story of surviving trauma and honoring the heroes around her.
My Writing Obstacles
- What was difficult for me was that something that was very personal to me, my story, had to be looked at as a business transaction. So there had to be a cost with essentially selling my story.
Why I Wrote the Book
- It’s for the little 4-year old Colleen who did not yet know pain and fear. There’s a lot of internal healing in the book. And for the men and women out there who have lost touch with themselves.
How Do We Find the Heroes Inside Us?
- It’s about honoring and falling in love with yourself. It’s being selfless. Take a step back and look at yourself without self-judgement, and look at your incredible attributes and honoring them.
The Best Advice on Writing I Ever Received
- The best advice I received was to just write. To not wait until the words are feeling correct in my mind but to just write and get as much out that’s flowing through my mind as possible.
The Hardest Part of Writing the Book
- Being very honest of my own past.Things I had never wanted to share publicly.
The Process of Writing the Book
- I wrote on an iPad and keyboard as I had energy in the rehab center. Then I blogged about my experiences as I was in and out of the hospital for more surgeries. Then one day a friend asked asked if I had ever thought of writing a book. It was a long several year process once I hired an editor.
My Most Rewarding Moment as an Author
- It’s when someone emails me and says they’ve always wanted to donate blood and then they read my book and now they’ve donated for the first time. It’s when someone says they did something they were always scared and reluctant to do and how grateful they were for taking that step.
If You’re Trying to tell Your Story
- Let yourself grieve and mourn, and be upset through this process. Find an outlet that’s a safe space, finding support groups and a base of support and people that are willing to hold you up.
How To Find Me
- Colleen’s website
- Colleen’s Facebook page
- Colleen’s Twitter page
- Colleen’s Instagram page
- Colleen Kelly Alexander – a Story of Resilience – YouTube
- One of Colleen’s YouTube videos
From My Perspective
- The From My Perspective segment of the show looks at the blog by best-seller and prolific author Jerry Jenkins at JerryJenkns.com, and his wealth of advice and information for writers.
We’d Love to Hear Your Comments or Questions on this Podcast
We invite you to send us a comment or question on this episode. Please use the comment form at the bottom of this blog post to send us a message. Thank you.
Got a Minute? Rate the Podcast.
We hope this episode has inspired you and helped to ignite your writing. That’s our goal. If you have been helped by this interview, could you share your experience?
The best way to do that is to leave a rating and review at iTunes. You can also leave a rating and review in Stitcher. A one or two sentence review, along with a rating, will help others find the Writers & Authors on Fire podcast more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience. Your rating and review helps promote the podcast to new listeners, writers, and authors as they search for new podcasts to experience. Honest reviews are appreciated. Thank you for your support.
Want More of Writers & Authors on Fire?
A new Writers & Authors on Fire episode will be released every Tuesday morning. As our audience grows and we do more interviews, we hope to release two new episodes a week. That’s a great reason to subscribe now. You can subscribe at iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast directory:
Because disclosures are necessary, each book link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clicking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast. Thank you for your support.