Guest Recommended Books on Writing
Guests are asked to share their favorite book on writing. Below is an alphabetical listing of all book recommended by our guests and a link to check them out at Amazon. Because disclosures are necessary, each link uses my Amazon affiliate code so I earn a small commission on whatever you purchase after clinking on the link. This helps fund the website and podcast.
- E. M. Forster’s Aspects of the Novel. Recommended by Sydney Avey.
- Books by James Scott Bell on writing. Recommended by Mark Young and Sherry Kyle.
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth George. Recommended by Michele PW, Kathryn Kemp Guylay, Ally Machate, and Forest Benedict..
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. Recommended by Joseph Bentz, Joanne Kraft, Natalie Snapp, B.J. Taylor, Kara Lucas, Ray Edwards, Lisa Bogart, Michele PW, Paula Treick DeBoard, Emily Grosvenor, Hope Squires, and Jeanette Hanscome.
- Book Proposals That Sell: 21 Secrets to Speed Your Success by Terry Whalin. Recommended by Rhonda Stoppe.
- The Children Writers Word Book for help with your vocabulary. Recommended by Crystal Bowman.
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On. Recommended by Penny Sansevieri.
- Curation Nation: How to Win in a World Where Consumers are Creators. Recommended by Penny Sansevieri.
- Dancing on the Head of a Pin by Robert Benson. Recommended by Eva Marie Everson.
- Strunk & White’s Elements of Style. The most current edition is the 2011 edition by William Strunk, Junior.
- Essentials of Screen Writing: The Art, Craft, and Business of Film and Television Writing by Richard Walter. Recommended by David Hyde.
- Fiction Writing for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson and Peter Economy. Recommended by Marci Seither.
- The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maas.
- For Writers Only: Inspiring Thoughts on the Exquisite Pain and Heady Joy of the Writing Life from its Great Practitioners by Sophy Burnham. Recommended by Lara Hulzen.
- Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors by Brandilyn Collins. Recommended by Sarah Sundin.
- Anything by Seth Godin. He’s a brilliant marketing mind. Recommended by Penny Sansevieri.
- The Gregg Reference Manual. Recommend by Arlene Miller.
- Rod Dreher’s How Dante Can Save Your Life: The Life-Changing Wisdom of History’s Greatest Poem. Recommended by Shana Schutte.
- How to Earn More Than Pennies for Your Thoughts by Holly G. Miller. Recommended by Linda Gilden.
- How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Avoid Them by Sol Stein. Recommended by Jennifer Slattery.
- Introduction to Christian Writing by Ethel Herr. Recommended by Linda Gilden.
- Just Write: Creating Unforgettable Fiction and a Rewarding Writing Life by James Scott Bell. Recommended by Jane Daly.
- On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King. Recommended by Marci Seither, Joanne Kraft, Susan Meissner, Bethany Jett, Thomas Umstattd, LoraLee Kodzo, Kara Lucas, Denise Kalm, Shellie Arnold, Miles Anthony Smith, Alisa Hope Wagner, Ray Edwards, Michele PW, Paula Treick DeBoard, Ginger Kolbaba, Sheila Slavich, Jami Amerine, Kelly Klepfer, Susie Finkbeiner, Jake Heilbrunn and Jeanette Hanscome.
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser. Recommended by Marci Seither, Terry Whalin, Susan Meissner, Paula Wallace, Charles Stone, and James Dziezynski.
- Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish by James Scott Bell. Recommended by Jill Osborne.
- Polishing the PUGS: Punctuation, Usage, Grammar, and Spelling by Kathy Ide. Recommended by Angela Breidenbach.
- Rock Your Plot by Cathy Yardley. Recommended by Jenna Victoria.
- Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. Recommended by Susan Meissner, Torry Martin, and Davod Hyde.
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself into Print by Renni Browne and Dave King. Recommended by Michelle Griep, Stacy Hawkins Adams, Katie Vorreiter, and Elizabeth M Thompson.
- Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer’s Guide to Marketing and Publicity by Rob Eager. Recommended by Rhonda Stoppe.
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon. Recommended by Lisa Bogart.
- Stein on Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques by Sol Stein. Recommended by Terry Whalin, Deborah Raney, and Mark Young.
- Story Engineering: Mastering the 6 Core Competencies of Successful Writing by Randy Brooks. Recommended by Jennifer Sienes.
- Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee. Recommended by Susan Meissner and Mark Young.
- StrengthFinders 2.0 by Tom Rath. Recommended by Angela Breidenbach.
- The Art of Slow Writing: Reflections on Time, Craft, and Creativity by Louise Desalvo. Recommended by Jane Daly.
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron.
- The Chicago Manual of Style. Recommended by Kathy Ide.
- The Christian Writers’ Manual of Style. Recommended by Kathy Ide.
- The Complete Guide to Christian Writing and Speaking by Susan T. Osborn. Recommended by Karen Whiting.
- The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language by Natalie Goldberg. Recommended by Denise Kalm.
- The War of Art by Simon Pressfield. Recommended by Ray Edwards.
- The Writer’s Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb. Recommended by Mona Hodgson.
- The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler. Recommended by Sarah Sundin and Mark Young.
- Turing Life into Fiction by Robin Hemley. Recommended by Mona Hodgson.
- 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them by Ronald Tobias.
- Unleash the Writer Within by Cecil Murphey. Recommended by Linda Gilden.
- Woe is I: The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English, 3rd Edition by Patricia T. O’Conner. Recommended by Cheri Cowell.
- Write Your Novel From The Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between by James Scott Bell. Recommended by Kara Swanson.
- Write Tight: Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power by William Brohaugh. Recommended by Athena Dean Holtz.
- William Zinsser’s Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past. Recommended by Dr. Michelle Bengtson.
- Writing Articles from the Heart: How to Write and Sell Your Life Experiences by Marjorie Holmes. Recommended by Karen O’Connor.
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, 2nd edition by Natalie Goldberg. Recommended by Denise Kalm, Emily Grosvenor, and Sydney Avey.
- Writing Fiction for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson. Recommended by Ben Wolf.
- Writing the Great American Romance Novel by Catherine Lanigan. Recommended by Kristin Miller.
- Writing to Change the World by Mary Pipher. Recommended by Lorilyn Roberts.
- Writer to Writer by Bodie and Brock Thoene. Recommended by Linda Gilden.
- Writing Tools: 55 Essential Strategies for Every Writer by Roy Peter Clark. Recommended by Jake Heilbrunn.
- Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass. Recommended by Susan Meissner and Lynne Thompson.
- You are a Writer: So Start Acting Like One by Jeff Goins. Recommended by Nick Pavlidis.
- Your Life as Story by Tristine Rainer. It helps us discover how we can find the important messages in our lives. Recommended by Stacy Curtis.